Monday, July 28, 2008

Healthy Foods that Taste Good

One of my New Year's resolutions was to eat healthier food on a regular basis. I'm not dieting or attempting to lose weight, I just want to eat more nutritious food. I have lost a few pounds, but that happened because I have been exercising more regularly too. Exercising and eating healthier food makes you lose weight? Crazy!

I can't stand those people who don't eat bread or suddenly only eat grapefruit. A little of most things is all right as long as you're eating them in moderation, choosing healthier options like whole grains instead of white, and exercising. Plus, you're more likely to stick with something that is remotely normal in the long run. I've found it easier to find healthier versions of things I crave then to try to ignore them completely. After half a year of trying to choose better foods, I actually have stopped craving some types of food. Fast food of the burger and fried variety and overly sugary stuff tends to disgust me now. I eat it every once in awhile when I feel like it and I still love my quesadillas, but it's nice to get hungry and crave fruit instead.

I thought I'd share a few tasty, healthier products I've been eating over the last few months.

1. Morningstar Farms, fake cheddar burger. No, it doesn't taste like a real burger. It does taste good though! These are great as a break from sandwiches for lunch or when I'm craving a cheeseburger, but don't want to give in.

2. Weight Watchers, creamsicles and chocolate mousse pops. I don't know anything about the point system and I was skeptical about an all diet brand, but both of these are really good for a light dessert. I like that the creamsicle flavors aren't generic. They have key lime, passion fruit, and strawberry and they actually are creamy. Best of all, they are very low in calories so it's good for when you aren't actually that hungry but are craving a dessert anyways.

3. Ben and Jerry's, frozen yogurt or Lighten Up brand. It's expensive, but worth it. I actually prefer the Lighten Up chocolate fudge brownie flavor to the original because it is still outrageously decadent and you don't feel bad eating it.

4. Simply Soy (I think, maybe Healthy Soy?) Mango Vanilla frozen dessert from Trader Joes. It tastes like a mango creamsicle. I was wary of the soy, but it tastes like a mix between ice cream and sherbert. Slightly creamier than sherbert, but lighter than ice cream. Either way, it's yummy.

5. Smoothies. I've become a huge fan of the smoothie. We have a standard healthy recipe made with orange juice, ice, fruit and, a little silken tofu for texture and some added soy (don't worry if you don't like tofu, you can't taste it), and we just switch the fruit to whatever we feel like at the time. You can buy frozen fruit and save it until needed. My favorites are Mango and Mango Strawberry. We also use pinapple and bannanas. I wouldn't recommend anything with seeds though. That gets messy.

Okay, those were mostly desserts. My weaknesses are cheese and chocolate though so it figures. Any one else have some healthier products I should try?

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the veggies! Eat your veggies!

    -Jason

    ReplyDelete