Saturday, June 21, 2008

Let's Go To The Mall!

The title must be sung Robin Sparkles style. If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch How I Met Your Mother. That song makes me laugh every single time I hear it. I am going to Cambridgeside today. I probably shouldn't buy a bunch of clothes, but I probably will anyway because I don't go to a normal mall very often and I like to take advantage of decent prices when I can. Does anyone else find it weird that there are no mainstream/non-luxury malls in downtown Boston? It seems like a mall like Cambridgeside with stores like Old Navy, H&M, Borders, Sears, etc would do really well in the downtown area. I guess most of the stores have individual locations in Boston, but it would be nice to have them all in one location that wasn't an hour away on the T.

I've been feeling very materialistic lately, which makes me feel guilty and selfish. I really want to buy clothes, books, and shoes. The problem is that I somehow have a bunch of extra money this month to indulge my materialistic urges. I guess it happened because May was a five paycheck month and I got that government stimulus money. Still, I did go on a vacation and put a bunch of the government money into my savings account. I guess having more money than anticipated is not a bad thing, but it means I'll probably buy stuff I don't really need.

On a random note, does anyone know of a low brow used bookstore that will buy books from me? Most of what I want to sell is genre fiction or general fiction (not hugely literary) and the used stores I know of only take more scholarly material.

3 comments:

  1. If you're really desperate to get rid of your books and don't mind not getting money for them, Liza is having a yard sale this weekend and can use all the extra stuff she can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you are about the least materialistic person I know, I think you are okay indulging every so often. I hope you got good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brattle Books will usually take used trade books. They don't give you much cash, but you can get a better value if you're willing to take store credit.

    And I agree with Nicki--you're always so restrained with your spending, so don't feel guilty! I've really been wanting to go to Cambridgeside too.

    ReplyDelete