Friday, August 14, 2009

"Performing Arts Renaissance" in Boston

This article annoys me. http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2009/08/09/a_performing_arts_renaissance_for_boston/

First of all, having Jersey Boys come to Boston does NOT make a performing arts renaissance for the city as the article seems to imply. I love musical tours. I see the majority of musicals on tour. I do not think touring shows, by virtue of coming to Boston, can create a renaissance. A renaissance would include more Bostonians going to these shows, but unfortunately, I have not seen any noticeable increases in Boston theater audiences of late. To me, a city performing arts renaissance would mean higher quality and greater amounts of theater (and other arts) produced and performed by local regional people and attended by greater numbers of those local people.

This article doesn't even mention the BOSTON THEATERS. This is a major problem with the Globe. They never seem to cover the Boston-based theater which would actually be the basis of a performing arts renaissance. What about ART, the Huntington, the Lyric, the smaller companies like Company One? I don't go to nearly enough of their shows, but they are the Boston performing arts scene, not touring companies with no connection to our city! They are also the affordable options for people who like the arts, but can't spend over $100 on Jersey Boys.

Grr. Argh. This is why I rarely read the Globe Arts sections. I think I'll stick to sports. The Patriots look promising. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment