Monday, August 11, 2008

Early One Morning

I like it when I get to my office before everyone else in the summer. The whole floor is quiet and peaceful and I can just sip tea and listen to the hum of the air conditioner (which I can set to whatever I want since I'm the first one here). Since the second set of summer courses ended and instructors haven't begun preparing for the fall yet, I rarely have to answer the phone or help anyone in person. I can do what little work I have without getting interrupted and without any time pressures. I can also just sit in the quiet and stare blankly at the wall if I want without anyone caring. This is especially good after insomnia nights like last night. Since I'm the only person on the administrative staff that is not salaried, I'm the only one with a real schedule. I show up at 9:00 and everyone else wanders in and out when they feel like it. It's a little annoying since I always seem to be working more hours than my bosses, but it's nice at times like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment